The Cheese School is a 7-year old San Francisco institution! We offer private dining, cheese tasting classes, team-building events, and off-site catering. Next month we are opening a Cafe and Cheese Counter in Ghirardelli Square!
We are a super collaborative team with years of experience in restaurant and cheese counter management and are looking for a creative team player to come and join us! We teach with passion, not pretension and our motto is ‘eating is learning’ - we want to inspire all of our customers to be adventurous and try new things in the cheese world! In addition, we want to create a supportive environment where everyone can learn to be their best, and develop skills they might not have known they had. We are big on training and internal promotion, and love developing people’s talents! If you have cheese experience, exceptional customer service or a passion for food - please apply!
We are seeking a cafe cashier with strong customer service/sales skills. Our ideal new team member loves talking about food and wine and has the knowledge to back that up, leads by example, and puts customers first. If you love the service industry, talking to customers, working with a growing team and are also willing to break down boxes or do whatever needed to get the job done, we’d love for you to join our team!
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Meets and greets customers entering the establishment and creates a welcoming environment for all customers:
- Engages in the highest levels of customer service to ensure the customer feels taken care of and leaves happy whether they just came in to look around, or come for dinner every week
- Guides guests through the menu, educating them about their options, what would suit their tastes and any wine or drink pairings you recommend
- Works efficiently and effectively to ring customers up
- Checks in with diners occasionally to see how their meal is going
- Maintains cleanliness standards of The Cheese School:
- Follows health and safety sanitation guidelines
- Keeps counters clear and clean
- Clears dining areas, and keeps them organized, tidy and stocked consistently throughout the shift
- Maintains beautiful displays for food/drinks to entice customers
- Washes hands in between serving food and taking money
- Follows proper opening and closing procedures of the cafe:
- Ensures all cashier protocols are followed, including proper cash handling
- Runs food and drink to customers as soon as it is ready
- Pours soft drinks, beer and wine for customers
- Notes any low inventory of cafe supplies
- Strong knowledge of food, cheese and charcuterie, wine, and beer
- Strong knowledge of food handling and sanitation
- Upholds highest standards of customer service
- Self-motivated and fast learner
- Quick adoption of technology
- Strong sales skills with ability to recognize up-sell moments
- Strong attention to detail and organizational habits
- Thrives in a collaborative work environment
- First to mediate issues with customers
- Highest level of reliability, honesty, and responsibility
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining The Cheese School standards of performance
- Excellent time management
- Personable and dedicated to forming good relationships with customers and colleagues
- Strong in-person communication skills
Compensation & Benefits
Starting pay is $15 + tips. Full-time position 32-40 hours a week. Benefits include discounted meals and retail items, 50% healthcare contribution (after 90 days), commuter benefits and sick pay.
Must be available to work nights and weekends.
How to Apply
Email a comprehensive cover letter and resume outlining your experience to [email protected] Applications with no cover letter will not be considered.