The Cheese School is a 7-year old San Francisco institution! We offer private dining, cheese tasting classes, team-building events (revolving exclusively around food) and off-site catering and we are opening a Cafe in Ghirardelli Square this summer!
We are looking to hire a Cafe Chef as soon as possible to help with menu development, hiring and kitchen SOPS. The Cafe Chef will work directly with the Owner and Executive Chef to create menus, manage a team of 10-20 and oversee the overall smooth running of the Cafe Kitchen.
The cafe chef is a hands on position both in the kitchen and managing admin work. They will work directly with the Owner and Executive Chef to create menus for the cafe, oversee a team of 10-20 employees and manage the ordering, inventory and overall running of the kitchen from exceptional food and safety standards to spectacular food presentation. Close communication with the Executive Chef, General Manager and Cheese Counter team will be vital for this role.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- 1-2 years experience managing a kitchen and team of 10+ employees
- 4-6 years experience in the food industry
- A keen eye for COGS and attention to detail
- Passion for delicious food that looks great - a love of cheese is a plus!
- A ‘yes’ attitude!
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall vision and culture of the company:
- Propose new menu, training, and business ideas
- Be aware of industry trends
- Continually enhance the culinary aspect of the TCS
- Participate in staff & management meetings
- Ensure a positive and productive work environment
- Uphold the highest standard of decorum and mentorship
- Help conceive and execute expansion concepts
- Work with the owner and executive chef to create standard and seasonal menus for the cafe and grab and go case incl. Tracking recipe development and documenting recipes.
- Control costs and delivery COGS below 20%:
- Establish wholesale and retail pricing for menu items
- Maintain inventory of all food products, including overseeing ordering
- Know what foods are in season and be aware of changing market costs
- Strong focus on zero food waste - rotating stock and menus to use up perishable items.
- Kitchen training and oversee all food preparation:
- Ensure high quality and efficient execution of menus
- Staff training in food safety from unpacking, handling and storage to preparation, cooking and presentation.
- Ensure proper compliance with legal health standards, keep up to date on any new standards that must be followed and implement as needed, maintain a health department rating of 98-100.
- Prepare policies and standard operating procedures, training binder
- Supervise and lead team of 10-20 employees, including hiring, training, handling performance issues and annual performance reviews with the support of the General Manager.
- Ensure that everyone knows their roles and responsibilities for the process including purchasing, prep, and execution
- Maintain updated documentation for recipe books, training and safety materials.
- Design and execute downstairs private dining menus based on specific client requests
- Help maintain and enhance the TCS aesthetic presentation of food and beverage service
- Lead culinary classes and present culinary techniques at private events
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation and Benefits:
40 hours p/week. Hourly wage doe
Sick leave according to SF law
After 90 days:
50% health insurance covered by employee
Cell phone stipend
Discounted wines and classes
After 1 year:
401k matched by employer and bonus plan
And a kick-ass team from Day 1!
The Cheese School is female owned and operated, and we encourage anyone and everyone with relevant experience to apply. This position has a lot of room for growth, as we are moving to a larger space and expanding our existing services of private dining, off-site catering, team-building events and public tasting classes, and adding a cafe and cheese counter.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Please include a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and why you want to work with The Cheese School.
Come and join the fun!