The DPI Retail Perishables Specialist supports on-site customers and employees with the initial establishment and continued support of their internal departments, such as Service Deli, Cheese and Bakery. This includes ordering products for initial set up and product display, transmitting orders for delivery to the store and setting up products by, in some cases, cutting, wrapping, pricing and merchandising products. The Retail Perishables Specialist is responsible for providing customer support to store patrons and making recommendations of products while providing training and instruction to customer employees on products and overall department offerings.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver exceptional customer service at all times when communicating with store management, personnel and the public; adhering to customer policies and procedures in compliance with DPI’s standards.
- Refill, reset and merchandise products for display and placement in a way that attracts sales at customer stores and secondary and perimeter locations following “best practices guidelines”; this includes re/wrapping and packaging service deli, cheese and/or bakery products.
- Provides instruction to customer personnel in all department activities.
- Provide sales support and training to customer sales team; assisting their clients by providing product recommendations, pairing suggestions and offering opinions based off of specialized product knowledge
- Comply with established, health and sanitation, and safety policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Inspect products for quality using visual and olfactory senses.
- Transport products using carts, U-boats, L-boats, or pallet jack.
- Communicate with DPI personnel and Account Executive regarding product discrepancies, product merchandising needs and customer requirements and/or issues.
- Plan and carry out daily schedules according to assigned customer locations. Travel throughout assigned territory, manage timelines to ensure completion of assigned customer and DPI requirements, and respond to fluctuations in workload to deliver quality customer service according to DPI standards.
- Unbox vendor goods and disassembles boxes for recycling.
- Operate field-based electronic equipment for communications with DPI team members and others; operate cell phone to communicate with customers, supervisors or coworkers and for electronic timekeeping.
- Operate motor vehicle to travel to and from customer locations throughout assigned territory.
- Attends training and meetings as required to meet customer and DPI standards.
- Create and transmit orders for product replenishment and other corresponding paperwork in a timely manner, meeting DPI order deadlines. Verify accuracy of transmission by confirming receipt with DPI personnel.
- Apply knowledge of product and temperature sensitive protocols when transporting products (cold chain)
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- May handle knives, and cutters to resize cheese products for repackaging or trim products for appearance.
- Maintain a clean personal work environment.
- Other duties may be assigned to fulfill company objectives and/or job duties and requirements may be changed as needed to meet current and future business needs.
Skills & Experience
The employee must be proficient in written and spoken English and possess basic math skills. The employee must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Basic skill in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point) is required. The minimum required level of experience is two years in Service Deli knowledge – cheese, deli, perishable goods. The employee must have a valid driver’s license, maintain a driving record that meets DPI’s standards and insurance eligibility requirements for excess liability. The employee must have reliable transportation, and if using a personal vehicle must maintain automobile liability coverage adequate to meet the financial responsibility laws of the state(s) in which the employee operates. The employee must have the ability to work independently or in tandem with customer employee’s applying excellent communication and customer service skills to all interactions.
Compensation & Benefits
Position includes competitive pay and a great benefits package!
Work Environment: The work environment is indoors. The employee may be exposed to variable temperatures from the two different product climates (dry, cold). The employee is also exposed to temperature variation during travel throughout assigned geographical territory. Vinyl floor covering is typical when working at a customer site.
Work Hours: The work schedule is 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Start times vary. Work hours and shifts are subject to change depending on operating business conditions and needs. The employee may be required to work overtime, holidays or weekends.
Physical and Mental Demands: Medium. Exerts 20-50 pounds of force occasionally to move objects and product. This job requires constant standing and walking with frequent use of the upper extremities to reach, handle, grasp and use cutting and wrapping tools and handling product. The employee must know and follow proper health and safety protocols; know and follow DPI’s grooming, hygiene and dress code standards. The application of temperature sensitive protocols when transporting products is a must. The employee also must be able to manage time and multiple competing demands; adhering to schedules and deadlines, maintaining composure in pressure situations.