The Cheese School is a 7-year old San Francisco institution! We offer private dining, cheese tasting classes, team-building events, and off-site catering. Next month we are opening a Cafe and Cheese Counter in Ghirardelli Square!
We are a super collaborative team with years of experience in restaurant and cheese counter management and are looking for a creative team player to come and join us! We teach with passion, not pretension and our motto is ‘eating is learning’ - we want to inspire all of our customers to be adventurous and try new things in the cheese world! In addition, we want to create a supportive environment where everyone can learn to be their best, and develop skills they might not have known they had. We are big on training and internal promotion, and love developing people’s talents! If you have the cheese experience, exceptional customer service or a passion for food - please apply!
Cheesemongers work closely with the Cheese Buyer to ensure we are selling quality cheese and charcuterie to our customers. They will provide support in receiving, packaging, FIFO storage and inventory management. The role includes serving customers, educating customers and team members, maintaining standards in proper cutting and handling of cheese and creating a wonderful experience for our customers!
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Maintain cheese and charcuterie retail/handling which includes:
- Take regular cheese inventory
- Cut, wrap, and price cheese and grab and go items from the cafe
- Maintain proper labeling of foods and ingredients
- Capable of fast and proper cheese cutting with a willingness to train others
- Basic knowledge of cheesemaking and cheese industry
- Understands how cheese is made and is able to articulate this to others
- Familiar with local cheesemakers and their products as well as classic PDO cheeses such as Parmigiano Reggiano, Comte etc
- Familiar with different cheese styles with the ability to explain the differences
- Milk types and styles of cheese i.e. sheep’s milk camembert vs. sheep’s milk blue
- Keep cheese and charcuterie service and storage areas clean and tidy
- Ensure proper opening & closing procedures
- Prep cheese and meats for daily cheese boards at the Cafe
- Create cheese and charcuterie plates and platters for events
- Give exceptional customer service to all our customers and use every opportunity to educate them and your team!
- Self-motivated and fast learner
- Strong customer service and sales skills with ability to recognize up-sell moments
- Strong attention to detail and organizational habits
- Thrives in a collaborative work environment
- Contributes in discussions and works with team to increase sales and decrease COGS
- Has an earnest interest in new cheeses and supporting local/domestic cheese industry
- Eagerness to train and educate others on cheese inventory and skills
- Upholds TCS aesthetic for cheese displays/platters
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining TCS standards of performance
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and pushing, pulling, bending, walking and standing for extended periods of time
Compensation & Benefits
Full-Time: Min. $15 p/hour + tips.
Sick leave and Commuter Benefits according to SF Law
Daily Staff Meals
After 90 days:
50% health insurance covered by employer
Discounted wines, retail and classes (Up to 2 classes free every year!)
After 1 year:
401k with employer match
The Cheese School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage everyone with relevant experience to apply. Training is available in this position for anyone who excels at customer service and has a strong love of food and educating people about food.