The Administrative Assistant is the administrative lead for the American Cheese Society (ACS) and is responsible for the coordination of ACS’s daily office tasks, operations, and equipment; data entry and maintenance; and assisting the association’s three directors (Executive Director, Programs & Operations Director, and Marketing & Communications Director.)
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic team player who has excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills, great attention to detail, enjoys a forward-facing customer service role, and is flexible, honest, and communicates effectively verbally and in writing.
Status: Full-Time, (Exempt)
Reports to: Programs & Operations Director
- Normal business hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Extended hours for program and event dates throughout year, including 11 days of travel annually to Annual Conference (late July/early August).
- Some weekend/evening hours as needed. Compensatory time provided.
- Flex Friday schedule October – March (work-from-home plus bonus days off)
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Is the first to answer incoming calls and does so cheerfully and professionally in accordance with appropriate business etiquette.
- Direct calls to appropriate staff as the friendly and confident voice of ACS.
- Collect and disseminate mail daily and process all outgoing mail.
- Manage inventory and maintain appropriate levels of all office supply needs, i.e., stationery, toner, kitchen supplies, postage.
- Keep kitchen and office clean and organized.
- Distribute weekly staff meeting agenda, take minutes, post minutes to server ensuring action items are sent to appropriate staff and/or added to office project management system.
- Assist association’s three Directors with general administrative functions including, but not limited to, photocopying/scanning/sending faxes; preparing mailings; scheduling meetings; coordinating conference calls, and general correspondence; fielding/responding to phone and email inquiries; and other general support.
- Provide advice and recommendations to streamline office efficiency and productivity.
- Assist with large office-wide projects including but not limited to mass-mailings and compiling conference materials for attendees.
- Edit materials accurately and in accordance with office protocols (Chicago Manual of Style).
- Maintain organized, up-to-date filing system for all office accounting and general files.
- Establish annual budget for office supplies.
- Maintain contracts, payment schedules, and vendor relationships for office equipment and services.
Board and Committee Administration:
- Assist Executive Director in the scheduling of Board of Director conference calls, email communications, reports, PowerPoint presentations, handbooks, and meeting materials (digital and print).
- Maintain up-to-date details of Board travel and dietary preferences, special needs, etc.
- Provide general planning support for Board and committee meetings including compiling and organizing meeting materials/packets, taking and disseminating meeting minutes, and distributing Board and committee meeting agendas and reminders as assigned
- Assist Programs & Operations Director with all aspects of the Judging & Competition Committee including:
- schedule calls, handle email communications, take meeting minutes, enter data, and follow up on action items
- organize judge contracts, travel logistics, honoraria, and contact information including compiling bios, and editing/verifying all details
- verify eligibility of all entries, verifying payment, and reporting
- set up and organize onsite data entry and admin area
- serve as lead on-site data entry specialist during Competition
- Provide administrative support to the American Cheese Education Foundation as needed.
Data Entry and Maintenance
- Perform data entry adhering to established procedures.
- Ensure accuracy of data between multiple databases and platforms.
- Create and produce necessary tables, queries, forms, spreadsheets, and reports.
Marketing, Public Relations, & Sponsorship:
- Monitor and make sure information on ACS website(s) is current, updating as needed.
- Assist Marketing & Communications Director with:
- production schedule to ensure the printing of promotional materials, merchandise, collateral, signage, etc. is accurate, on time, and on budget
- updating RFPs, researching service providers, and securing quotes as requested
- media queries and outreach as well as tracking of media placements and industry coverage
- sponsorship sales, contracts, and tracking
- maintaining sponsorship records, compiling graphics and materials, coordinating shipping details, and ensuring all sponsor benefits are provided per contracts
- marketing material creation as needed (including concept, copy, design)
- Populate mobile app with information, graphics, scheduled push notifications, etc. and ensure accuracy of all information.
Skills & Experience
- Some relevant administrative experience; 2-3 years preferred
- 4-year college degree
- Required Computer Skills: All Microsoft Office programs with advanced expertise in Excel
- Additional Experience a plus: association management/customer relationship software, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, PhotoShop), Asana, GoogleDocs, Intuit online inventory management software, QuickBooks, social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, etc.), WordPress
- Excellent, professional communication skills on telephone, in person, and via email
- Ability to multi-task and comfortably move between projects
- Strong, persuasive writer with ability to achieve appropriate voice for varying audiences
- Always seeking to improve and enhance processes, procedures, and customer service
- Ideal traits include: positive attitude, hard-working, meticulous with details, willing to help out whenever and wherever needed, emotionally intelligent, sense of humor, people intuitive, good listener, accomplished writer, team player, diplomatic, professional, responsible, honest, and committed
- Willing to do what it takes to ensure successful outcomes for all association activities
- Never says “That’s not my job.”
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Extensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please submit the following via email to [email protected] and include the subject line “Administrative Assistant”:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional or academic references
No phone calls please. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates of interest will be contacted.