American Cheese Society Classifieds
Do you have a job opening? Equipment for sale?
ACS allows for classified ads to be posted for 30 days starting at $25 for ACS members or $35 for non-members. Your ad will be viewable to a targeted audience of ACS members, as well as other industry members and the general public who visit this website daily. For an additional $5, you can include your company logo or a photo of the equipment you’re selling. If you desire to have your ad placed longer than 90 days, please contact the ACS office at 720-328-2788.
11/23 – 12/23: Creamery Manager
Come join the cheese team at Shelburne Farms! We are currently seeking a motivated, dependable, hardworking, quality focused cheesemaker to manage the team and production of our award-winning farmhouse cheddar cheese.
Essential Functions: Areas of Focus
Manage daily cheese production: Train new cheesemakers and cheesemaking assistants. Maintain consistency amongst the cheesemaking staff and communicate changes in standard operating procedures. Train new staff in cleaning and sanitation, Good Manufacturing Practices, and other areas of food safety. Work closely with dairy staff to identify seasonal changes in the milk in order to change cheesemaking targets. Manage daily record keeping, inventory needs, and systems to increase efficiency.
Manage the Tasting and Grading Program: Manage daily testing of cheese to determine the initial grade for each batch. Track progress throughout the aging process through tasting and identify future tastings based on needs. Connect data from grading and tasting to daily production targets and make changes as needed.
Manage Specific Food Safety Programs: Manage and maintain records related to sanitation and quality control. Work closely with Cheese Operations Manager to manage a robust and effective food safety plan.
Manage the Cheesemaking Budget: Approve invoices, manage incoming supplies and ingredients, and streamline expenses through efficiency and purchasing decisions.
Assist in Cheese Processing: work in the cutting, waxing, packaging, and labeling of the cheese 1-2 times a week. Work closely with Processing Coordinator and Cheese Operations Manager to connect information from the Tasting and Grading Program to processing needs. Assist in inventory managing and identify batches for certain markets and customers.
Participate in marketing and outreach activities on and off the farm such as demos and farmers markets as needed.
Position Qualifications and Requirements: Knowledge, skills, and experience
Formal training or education in food science, chemistry or agriculture
- Knowledge of GMPs, SSOP, and HACCP
- Experience in managing staff, preferably in production settings
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and email for communication and budget responsibilities
- Supervise cheesemaking production staff: This includes hiring, scheduling, time sheets, feedback/job evaluation, professional development, labor efficiency in make room.
- Train production staff in all aspects of cheesemaking including sanitation, processing, hauling milk, other duties as needed.
Physical factors / working conditions:
- This is a management position that requires approximately 45-50 hours per week; 5-6 days including weekend work, and on-call duties for emergencies and staff shortages
- Dependability, cleanliness and attention to detail are essential
- Position requires significant physical strength & endurance; ability to lift up to 80+ lbs and 40 lbs. multiple times; work outside; and in hot and cold environments such as coolers and make rooms
If you wish to apply, please email resume to email@example.com.
11/17 – 12/17: Cheese and Charcuterie Professional – Blue Duck Tavern
The Cheese and Charcuterie Professional will manage the Cheese Station, a culinary showpiece, at Park Hyatt Washington D.C.’s Michelin-starred Blue Duck Tavern. The highly-regarded Cheese Station is a working station on display to guests in the Blue Duck Lounge. The Cheese & Charcuterie Professional will design and maintain a rotating, seasonal menu of American cheeses, charcuterie options, and accompaniments. This person will have the flexibility to design and implement new cheese and charcuterie specials, and creatively expand the cheese program. Given the public nature of the position, this individual should be comfortable engaging guests, and providing expertise regarding cheese and charcuterie.
This culinary position requires good communication skills. It is preferred at least two years of previous fine dining and/or cheese/charcuterie experience. A Culinary Degree or related hotel experience is preferred. Candidates should be able to perform basic cooking skills. We are looking for talented individuals who can work full time with open availability, including weekends and holidays. This position is highly creative and public-facing; passion for food is a must.
As a Park Hyatt Washington, D.C. full-time employee, you can benefit from complimentary and discounted rooms at Hyatt Hotels around the world, paid time off, health insurance, 401k and many other benefits. We also provide complimentary shift meals, uniforms and discounted parking. Hyatt associates work in an environment that demands exceptional performance yet reaps great rewards. Whether it’s career opportunities, job enrichment or a supportive work environment, if you are ready for this challenge, then we are ready for you.
- Refined verbal communication skills.
- 2 years of previous line experience preferred.
- Culinary degree or related hotel experience is preferred.
- Candidate should be able to perform basic cooking skills.
- Able to work single station in the kitchen.
- Focused on excellent customer service and engagement in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Michelle at Michelle.Asselin@hyatt.com.
11/14 – 12/14: Hiring – Cheese Specialist
Do you have a passion for cheese? Consider our very rare job opportunity to work as a full time Cheese Specialist at Valley Natural Foods! The position is a balance of friendly and outgoing customer service, product knowledge/education, and learning about our farmers/suppliers. This postion also involves creativity, as the person hired will be writing informational articles, recipes and facts about the products we carry. They will be responsible for the ordering, margins and inventory, as well as have the opportunity to visit local farms to discover more about the products we offer.
This is a GREAT career opportunity for a dedicated, passionate individual who is looking to join a growing business! This is a full-time position (32 hrs + ). Strong preference will be given to those with open availability, however ideal applicants must be able to cover mid-shifts throughout the week / weekends.
We pride ourselves on offering a competitive benefits package including a 10% employee discount on groceries every day, medical and dental, PTO and paid holidays! Due to applicant volume, positions may close without notice.
To Learn More About Valley Natural Foods and Apply Online (EEO):
11/8 – 1/8: Experienced Artisan Cheesemaker
Springside Cheese is seeking an experienced artisan Cheese Maker to join our expanding family-owned and operated business located in beautiful Northeastern Wisconsin. This valued team member will continue the over 100-year tradition of producing our hand-made and award winning classic product line, in addition to assisting in the product development for our new and growing signature line. Ideal candidates will possess a passion for tradition production methods, raw and grass-based milk cheeses, and continuous professional growth through hands-on experience. A complete job description is available at www.springsidecheese.com/careeropportunities.html
11/2 – 1/2: Market of Choice – Creamery Manager
Turner Farm is a diversified organic saltwater farm on the island of North Haven in Penobscot Bay, Maine. We grow MOFGA-certified organic vegetables, herbs, and flowers. We also produce pasture-raised pork and operate a pasture-based cow dairy. The dairy provides milk for our own North Island Creamery, which specializes in fresh artisan cow cheeses, yogurt, and raw milk. We make several cheeses from the milk of our small herd of Normande and Jersey cows. We sell our cheeses and raw milk at our farm stand in the summer, as well as to restaurants and wholesale accounts.
We are looking for a full-time creamery manager for North Island Creamery at Turner Farm to produce our line of aged and fresh cheeses and yogurts.
Cheese maker must have experience making a variety of hard and soft cheeses (with an emphasis on lactic-style cheeses), and yogurt, with experience in sanitation and maintenance of a creamery. Work includes involvement in all aspects of running our farmstead creamery. Position will begin in April of 2017.
- 2-3 years of cheese making experience
- Equipment maintenance and repair skills
- Familiarity with rules and regulations governing dairy products
- Experience and comfort teaching others
- Excitement for working with a small and growing organization
- Experience with cow husbandry preferred but not required
- Overseeing the production of all the cheeses in our current product line.
- Managing creamery maintenance and following sanitation protocols. This includes all equipment maintenance in the creamery.
- Working with apprentices to teach all facets of cheese making.
- Troubleshoot recipes/inconsistencies with products.
- Maintaining all required records, inventories, recipes, and data collected. Working with state dairy inspector officials in inspections and license renewal.
- Maintaining a cheese making schedule, communication with wholesale accounts to receive and fill orders.
- Working with the farm manager to develop and expand product markets
- 2-3 milking shifts per week, or as needed
Competitive year-round compensation, plus benefits, depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will accept submissions until the position has been filled, but we encourage interested applicants to apply by December 15th, 2016.
11/2 – 12/2: Market of Choice – Cheese Steward
Are you passionate about food? Are you excited to learn and share how your favorite foods are created and brought to market? Can you imagine working with cheeses, charcuterie, and accompaniments from around Oregon and around the world? Then we want to meet you! The Market of Choice Cheese Shops are a high-energy, team-oriented environment that create an inviting in-store experience with friendly, knowledgeable, and customer service oriented Cheese Stewards.
Market of Choice in South Eugene off Willamette Street is hiring! Market of Choice is a growing, local company with excellent benefits and opportunity for growth. Our company offers a benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, competitive wages and a matching 401(k) retirement plan.
Market of Choice employees create a pleasant in-store atmosphere and provide knowledgeable and friendly customer service.
As a Cheese Steward, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting customers in selection and recommendations for everyday dining as well as special event entertaining
- Being knowledgeable about food trends and applications involving but not limited to artisan cheeses, charcuterie, and specialty accompaniments such as crackers, honey, preserves, mustards and pickles.
- Conduct in-store tastings and pairings
- Create cheese plates and gift baskets
production and proper care and storage of items sold in the Market Cheese Shops
- Checking in deliveries/ logging of all invoices daily
- Cleaning and maintenance of the Cheese Shop and sales area in adherence to Market of Choice food safety standards
The ideal candidate will have a passion for food and an interest in artisan cheeses from around the world, have creative merchandising skills, superior customer service skills, and a strong sales ability. Open availability including evenings and weekends is preferred. You must be 18 years or older.
If you are interested in the position, please send a resume to email@example.com.
10/31 – 12/1: Sr. Cheesemaker/Operations Manager
Overview of Role:
Southern Aged is seeking an experienced Sr. Cheesemaker/Operations Manager who is passionate about providing handcrafted cheese to some of the best chefs and cheesemongers in the Southeast and beyond. We are building a new creamery in an urban environment, directly adjacent to Atlanta’s Beltline and neighboring other food-centric businesses such as a gelato producer, specialty pickle producer and craft brewer. In addition to our European-style cheeses, we will reguarly produce special edition cheeses incorporating, among other ingredients, beer from Georgia craft brewers. The successful applicant would begin in the role in early 2017 to assist with the move from our existing creamery and begin work on processes for our growth in production set to start in March.
- Understand and master the recipes for our European-style cheeses
- Meet production demands and schedules as defined by leadership
- Ensure cheese quality standards are met and orders fulfilled on time
- Perform managerial functions including but not limited to: employee scheduling for production and affinage, defining work tasks by day, performance management, and ensuring safe work practices
- Operate in detail within Microsoft Office to track batches of cheese through production, affinage, and shipment and to document pH measurements and temperature logs
- Ensure all creamery activities are in compliance with government regulations as industry standards. Ensure employees are trained in accordance with federal and state regulations as well as company policies and procedures
- Work with leadership to complete a 3rd-party food safety audit.
- Manage and track product testing
- Coordinate the packing and shipping of cheese to customers and distributors
- 5 years of management experience, including experience managing others in supervisory or leadership roles, preferably in cheese manufacturing
- Hands-on experience making cheese is ideal
- Strong communication and leadership skills with employees and customers
- Good conflict management and problem solving skills
- Ability to lead by example (demonstrate strong work ethic, positive attitude, etc.)
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Base plus bonus based on experience
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9/27 – 12/27: Cowgirl Creamery seeks Counter Staff
Cowgirl Creamery Cantina in beautiful Point Reyes Station is hiring counter staff to sell a wide assortment of cheeses, accoutrements, picnic foods and coffee! Come join our stellar team! We are looking for solid, driven individuals who like to work hard in a fast paced, creative environment while having fun.
Ideal candidates are interested in growing with our team. Experience as a barista, cheesemonger, prep / line cook, or sandwich artist are a plus. A love of food and beverages is a must. We offer continuous training with cheesemakers, winemakers, coffee roasters, and specialty food producers.
Cowgirl Creamery is located in a converted barn, Tomales Bay Foods, in a scenic and beautiful coastal town, only 25 minutes from Petaluma, Novato and San Rafael.
We serve soups, salads, sandwiches and more all which are made from scratch, featuring organic, local producers and cheese.
We are hiring for FT & PT positions. Weekend availability is a must and open immediate availability is a plus. We operate Wednesday thru Sunday. Starting pay is $14 or DOE.
Cowgirl Creamery offers health and dental insurance, 401K, paid time off, sick pay and a discount on cheese! If you are interested in joining our team, please respond to email@example.com with a resume and references.
We look forward to hearing from you.
8/31 – 11/31: Cheesemaker
Grass based dairy in NW Colorado, seeking an individual to help make cheese, manage the aging rooms and possibly more. Profit sharing and an ownership interest are possibilities for the right individual.
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.