American Cheese Society Classifieds
Do you have a job opening? Equipment for sale?
ACS allows for classified ads to be posted for 30 days starting at $25 for ACS members or $35 for non-members. Your ad will be viewable to a targeted audience of ACS members, as well as other industry members and the general public who visit this website daily. For an additional $5, you can include your company logo or a photo of the equipment you’re selling. If you desire to have your ad placed longer than 90 days, please contact the ACS office at 720-328-2788.
Cheesemonger Wanted – Fairfield & Greenwich Cheese Companies
Fairfield & Greenwich Cheese Companies are cheese and specialty food shops located in Fairfield County, CT. Our mission is to offer our customers the best farmstead and artisanally produced cheeses, charcuterie and specialty pantry items, with an emphasis on top notch, approachable customer service. We strive to support the cheesemakers, craftspeople and farmers who make and grow real food and honor traditional methods.
We are growing! We are looking for hard working, responsible and passionate people to join our team in Fairfield and Greenwich. Full & part time positions available. Excellent customer service skills are a must and experience with or a willingness to learn cheese is a plus. A passion for good food is ESSENTIAL. We are willing to teach you everything we know about cheese and cheesemongering in exchange for a minimum commitment of one year.
Our people have moved on into the cheese industry and specialty food industry and if you work hard for us we will help you with that next step! We are willing to sponsor you to take the American Cheese Society’s Certified Cheese Professional exam (CCP).
Murray’s Cheese Divisional Coordinator – Spread the Word on Curd
Murray’s Cheese, New York’s cheese Mecca, is seeking a traveling Divisional Coordinator to oversee the operation of our ever expanding number of shops in the Pacific Northwest. Responsibilities range from trainings, shop audits, workshops, to day to day operational problem solving. We are looking for experienced cheesemongers, head mongers or higher, who are able to leverage the knowledge, enthusiasm, and high level of customer service that Murray’s Cheese is known for. The Divisional Coordinator will report to the Regional Manager of National Operations and will be expected to travel two to three weeks out over every month.
– Ensures each shop maintains Murray’s high level of standards
– Trains national team members the proper way to cut, wrap, sample, demo, and merchandise products
– Trains national team members in Red Jacket Training and Cheese Master Training
– Executes specialty cheese shop conversations into Murray’s Cheese shops
– Maintains shop profile master list with each store visit
– Communicates weekly with Division Cheese Specialists and Cheese Masters
– Guides national team to drive sales through a positive attitude
– Represents Murray’s in off-site events and cheese classes throughout the country
– Has retail experience, preferably food retail
– Maintains positive attitude even when facing challenges
– Is passionate about food… especially CHEESE!
– Communicates effectively
– Is comfortable using Excel and Word
– Is willing to commit to 3 weeks of travel time per month
– Willing to relocate to specific regions of the country to fulfill the needs of the business
– Can represent the ideals, passion, and professionalism Murray’s is known for while on the road
Our Ideal Candidate:
– Has overseen multiple units within a business
– Can effectively manage multiple projects at once
– Works well under pressure
– Loves cheese!
To apply, email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to [email protected] Note in the subject line which division (Pacific Northwest, Texas, or both!) you would like to be considered for.
North Branch Farm
Cheesemaker/Manager (one position)
Our farm has a herd of eleven (and increasing) grass-fed, mixed-breed cows, including Canadiennes, Jerseys, Brown Swiss, and American Milking Devons, which we milk seasonally from May through December. Over the last two years, we set up all the infrastructure to produce hard, cave-aged cheeses for local and mail-order wholesale, but a change in farm partnerships lost us our cheesemaker and we are looking for someone to step into this essentially “turn-key” situation.
We are looking for someone to make cheese starting in May, manage and market the cheese made last season, and do the recordkeeping and bookkeeping for the creamery. Although we are set up for a particular product and market, we are most interested in hiring someone with experience even if their business plan is different from what has happened here so far.
We expect this position will require 25-30 hours per week during the milking season and less during the off-season; this operation is part of a larger farm where other work could bring the hours up to full time if it works for all of us. Compensation is negotiable, hourly at least to start with, and based on experience, and housing and farm produce could be part of the pay.
The creamery is set up with a cheese make room where milk is pumped from the bulk tank (in a different building) to the cheese vat. The make room is attached both to a brine room equipped with a Coolbot, shelving and a brine tank and to a pack room for office work and for wrapping and packing cheeses for market/shipping. Across the road is a beautiful, poured concrete, 380 square foot cheese cave buried into a hill and set up for active and passive climate control. We have approximately 2500 pounds of cheese aging now, of two different varieties, that will need affinage and marketing in 2017.
Our farm strives for integrity, environmental responsibility and fun at all levels. Our electricity is supplied by grid-tied solar; we use horse, tractor and hand power on the farm; and our hot water (including in the creamery) is wood-heated.
Cheesemaker for Landmark Creamery
Landmark Creamery, a Wisconsin-based award winning artisan sheep cheese producer, is seeking a full time Cheesemaker to assume production of our new and signature line of sheep cheeses.
In 2013, over handmade Old Fashioneds, two Anna’s plotted out a cheese company grounded on their shared values of sustainable agriculture and delicious artisan foods. Landmark Creamery specializes in uncommon milk and beautiful cheese. We focus primarily on sheep milk cheese, along with some pasture-grazed cow milk cheeses and raw goat milk cheeses. It is this combination of beauty and unique ingredients where Landmark Creamery seeks to set itself apart.
We’re seeking an individual who’s passionate about the craft of cheesemaking, with acute attention to detail. The ideal candidate would have experience making a variety of hard and soft cheeses and a strong desire to learn and grow with the real world challenges of a small company. Cheesemaker must have a Wisconsin cheesemaker’s license or commit to attaining a license within six months of hire. Start date is January 15, 2017. Salary commensurate with experience.
• Lead in the manufacturing tasks of making cheese, from milk in-take to packaging.
• Knowledgeable in use of pasteurizer, plant equipment, pH meter, moisture analyzer and other technical equipment.
• Follow and comply with good manufacturing, safety and quality assurance programs.
• Lead in the sanitation and clean up of the production area.
• Maintain the entire work area in a clean and sanitary condition and follow all safety practices.
• Observe and support all packaging rules and company policies.
• Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of all duties.
• Wisconsin Cheese Maker’s license or acquisition of license within 6 months of hire.
• Wisconsin pasteurizer’s license, or acquisition of license within 6 months of hire.
• Two years of production work preferred.
• Highest standards of ethics and integrity, humble, making our customers feel comfortable and important.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Able to work closely with others in respectful, cooperative manner.
• Highly organized and able to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
• Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision.
• Strong attention to detail for accuracy in all facets of the position.
• Understanding of good manufacturing and food safety practices.
• Able to frequently lift/carry up to 50 lbs and 80 lbs with assistance.
• Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to work with required sanitation chemicals.
• Ability to multi-task, especially during busy periods.
• Ability to follow policies and procedures.
• Ability to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.
For more information, please contact Landmark Creamery
12/7 – 1/7: Cheese Apprentice – Full Season 2017
Edgwick Farm Job Description
11/23 – 12/23: Creamery Manager
Come join the cheese team at Shelburne Farms! We are currently seeking a motivated, dependable, hardworking, quality focused cheesemaker to manage the team and production of our award-winning farmhouse cheddar cheese.
Essential Functions: Areas of Focus
Manage daily cheese production: Train new cheesemakers and cheesemaking assistants. Maintain consistency amongst the cheesemaking staff and communicate changes in standard operating procedures. Train new staff in cleaning and sanitation, Good Manufacturing Practices, and other areas of food safety. Work closely with dairy staff to identify seasonal changes in the milk in order to change cheesemaking targets. Manage daily record keeping, inventory needs, and systems to increase efficiency.
Manage the Tasting and Grading Program: Manage daily testing of cheese to determine the initial grade for each batch. Track progress throughout the aging process through tasting and identify future tastings based on needs. Connect data from grading and tasting to daily production targets and make changes as needed.
Manage Specific Food Safety Programs: Manage and maintain records related to sanitation and quality control. Work closely with Cheese Operations Manager to manage a robust and effective food safety plan.
Manage the Cheesemaking Budget: Approve invoices, manage incoming supplies and ingredients, and streamline expenses through efficiency and purchasing decisions.
Assist in Cheese Processing: work in the cutting, waxing, packaging, and labeling of the cheese 1-2 times a week. Work closely with Processing Coordinator and Cheese Operations Manager to connect information from the Tasting and Grading Program to processing needs. Assist in inventory managing and identify batches for certain markets and customers.
Participate in marketing and outreach activities on and off the farm such as demos and farmers markets as needed.
Position Qualifications and Requirements: Knowledge, skills, and experience
Formal training or education in food science, chemistry or agriculture
- Knowledge of GMPs, SSOP, and HACCP
- Experience in managing staff, preferably in production settings
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and email for communication and budget responsibilities
- Supervise cheesemaking production staff: This includes hiring, scheduling, time sheets, feedback/job evaluation, professional development, labor efficiency in make room.
- Train production staff in all aspects of cheesemaking including sanitation, processing, hauling milk, other duties as needed.
Physical factors / working conditions:
- This is a management position that requires approximately 45-50 hours per week; 5-6 days including weekend work, and on-call duties for emergencies and staff shortages
- Dependability, cleanliness and attention to detail are essential
- Position requires significant physical strength & endurance; ability to lift up to 80+ lbs and 40 lbs. multiple times; work outside; and in hot and cold environments such as coolers and make rooms
If you wish to apply, please email resume to [email protected].
11/17 – 12/17: Cheese and Charcuterie Professional – Blue Duck Tavern
The Cheese and Charcuterie Professional will manage the Cheese Station, a culinary showpiece, at Park Hyatt Washington D.C.’s Michelin-starred Blue Duck Tavern. The highly-regarded Cheese Station is a working station on display to guests in the Blue Duck Lounge. The Cheese & Charcuterie Professional will design and maintain a rotating, seasonal menu of American cheeses, charcuterie options, and accompaniments. This person will have the flexibility to design and implement new cheese and charcuterie specials, and creatively expand the cheese program. Given the public nature of the position, this individual should be comfortable engaging guests, and providing expertise regarding cheese and charcuterie.
This culinary position requires good communication skills. It is preferred at least two years of previous fine dining and/or cheese/charcuterie experience. A Culinary Degree or related hotel experience is preferred. Candidates should be able to perform basic cooking skills. We are looking for talented individuals who can work full time with open availability, including weekends and holidays. This position is highly creative and public-facing; passion for food is a must.
As a Park Hyatt Washington, D.C. full-time employee, you can benefit from complimentary and discounted rooms at Hyatt Hotels around the world, paid time off, health insurance, 401k and many other benefits. We also provide complimentary shift meals, uniforms and discounted parking. Hyatt associates work in an environment that demands exceptional performance yet reaps great rewards. Whether it’s career opportunities, job enrichment or a supportive work environment, if you are ready for this challenge, then we are ready for you.
- Refined verbal communication skills.
- 2 years of previous line experience preferred.
- Culinary degree or related hotel experience is preferred.
- Candidate should be able to perform basic cooking skills.
- Able to work single station in the kitchen.
- Focused on excellent customer service and engagement in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Michelle at [email protected].
11/14 – 12/14: Hiring – Cheese Specialist
Do you have a passion for cheese? Consider our very rare job opportunity to work as a full time Cheese Specialist at Valley Natural Foods! The position is a balance of friendly and outgoing customer service, product knowledge/education, and learning about our farmers/suppliers. This postion also involves creativity, as the person hired will be writing informational articles, recipes and facts about the products we carry. They will be responsible for the ordering, margins and inventory, as well as have the opportunity to visit local farms to discover more about the products we offer.
This is a GREAT career opportunity for a dedicated, passionate individual who is looking to join a growing business! This is a full-time position (32 hrs + ). Strong preference will be given to those with open availability, however ideal applicants must be able to cover mid-shifts throughout the week / weekends.
We pride ourselves on offering a competitive benefits package including a 10% employee discount on groceries every day, medical and dental, PTO and paid holidays! Due to applicant volume, positions may close without notice.
To Learn More About Valley Natural Foods and Apply Online (EEO):
11/8 – 1/8: Experienced Artisan Cheesemaker
Springside Cheese is seeking an experienced artisan Cheese Maker to join our expanding family-owned and operated business located in beautiful Northeastern Wisconsin. This valued team member will continue the over 100-year tradition of producing our hand-made and award winning classic product line, in addition to assisting in the product development for our new and growing signature line. Ideal candidates will possess a passion for tradition production methods, raw and grass-based milk cheeses, and continuous professional growth through hands-on experience. A complete job description is available at www.springsidecheese.com/careeropportunities.html
11/2 – 1/2: Market of Choice – Creamery Manager
Turner Farm is a diversified organic saltwater farm on the island of North Haven in Penobscot Bay, Maine. We grow MOFGA-certified organic vegetables, herbs, and flowers. We also produce pasture-raised pork and operate a pasture-based cow dairy. The dairy provides milk for our own North Island Creamery, which specializes in fresh artisan cow cheeses, yogurt, and raw milk. We make several cheeses from the milk of our small herd of Normande and Jersey cows. We sell our cheeses and raw milk at our farm stand in the summer, as well as to restaurants and wholesale accounts.
We are looking for a full-time creamery manager for North Island Creamery at Turner Farm to produce our line of aged and fresh cheeses and yogurts.
Cheese maker must have experience making a variety of hard and soft cheeses (with an emphasis on lactic-style cheeses), and yogurt, with experience in sanitation and maintenance of a creamery. Work includes involvement in all aspects of running our farmstead creamery. Position will begin in April of 2017.
- 2-3 years of cheese making experience
- Equipment maintenance and repair skills
- Familiarity with rules and regulations governing dairy products
- Experience and comfort teaching others
- Excitement for working with a small and growing organization
- Experience with cow husbandry preferred but not required
- Overseeing the production of all the cheeses in our current product line.
- Managing creamery maintenance and following sanitation protocols. This includes all equipment maintenance in the creamery.
- Working with apprentices to teach all facets of cheese making.
- Troubleshoot recipes/inconsistencies with products.
- Maintaining all required records, inventories, recipes, and data collected. Working with state dairy inspector officials in inspections and license renewal.
- Maintaining a cheese making schedule, communication with wholesale accounts to receive and fill orders.
- Working with the farm manager to develop and expand product markets
- 2-3 milking shifts per week, or as needed
Competitive year-round compensation, plus benefits, depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to [email protected] We will accept submissions until the position has been filled, but we encourage interested applicants to apply by December 15th, 2016.