The Official Conference Cheesemonger Team
Each year, the ACS Annual Conference relies on the hard work and dedication of countless volunteers. Among these key volunteers are the Official Conference Cheesemongers, the individuals who oversee and manage the receipt, movement, storage, and preparation of thousands of cheeses and other donated products that play a starring role in ACS Conference events. Due to the importance and scope of this volunteer role, ACS selects a team of three Official Conference Cheesemongers to support the Conference each year.
Congratulations to our 2017 Official Conference Cheesemonger Team! Click on the names below to learn more about the trio that oversaw and prepared all of the cheeses and accompaniments that ACS members enjoyed in Denver in 2017:
- James Danforth, ACS CCP, King Soopers, Fort Collins, CO
- Brian Gilbert, ACS CCP, Beecher’s Handmade Cheese, Seattle, WA
- Katie Quinn, ACS CCP, Mullahy’s, Hudson, MA
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 Official Conference Cheesemonger Team that will oversee, manage, and prep cheeses and accompaniments for “Forged in Cheese,” the 35th Annual ACS Conference in Pittsburgh, PA!
The position is for experienced cheesemongers who…
- want to apply their skills to the broadest array of cheeses they’ll ever encounter in one place
- can successfully juggle many tasks while managing a team of dedicated volunteers
- think on their feet and can find creative solutions to unexpected challenges
- can dedicate 7- 10 days to fulfill this role during the Conference
- have the support of their employer to undertake this role
- enjoy being part of the behind-the-scenes action at the ACS Conference
- wish to be recognized as a top professional in their field
- Roundtrip airfare to the Conference city (in 2018 this will be Pittsburgh, PA)
- 7 nights hotel stay at the Conference hotel
- Personalized ACS logo chef’s coats
- Free registration for our 2019 Conference in Richmond, VA (you’ll be too busy in Pittsburgh to catch the sessions!)
- Your personal and company profiles on our web site and in the printed Conference guide
The ACS Official Conference Cheesemongers are the lead volunteers in charge of Conference cheeses and other donated products, including but not limited to: receiving and inventorying product shipments, prepping cheese and accompanying products (preserves, honey, charcuterie, crackers, etc) for meals and breaks, creating cheese displays for special events, plating cheese for tasting sessions, and assisting sponsors with preparing and displaying their products for sponsored events. The Official Conference Cheesemongers will track the movement of cheese and donated products to and from various venues, ensuring proper preparation and handling by volunteers, and overseeing a team of volunteers to deliver cheeses to the appropriate events at the appropriate times. The Official Conference Cheesemongers are also responsible for overseeing the ACS Conference Brunch of Champions and Annual Cheese Sale.
The Official Conference Cheesemongers must possess a strong ability to organize, arrange, and schedule the tempering and delivery of multiple donated products (including cheese, fluid milk, crackers, charcuterie, chocolate, beverages, etc.) for multiple events throughout the Conference. Catering experience is particularly helpful in this role.
Some time is required within this role prior to the Conference. The pre-Conference work will include but is not limited to: attending several planning Conference calls with ACS staff, setting up prep and delivery schedules, reviewing volunteer schedules, and coordinating with tasting session presenters and Conference sponsors.
The Official ACS Conference Cheesemongers work closely with ACS staff and key volunteers on-site.
Anticipated time required for this role is as follows:
- March to July (before the Conference): 4-6 hours per month
- During the Conference, the selected cheesemongers should anticipate working extended hours. Typical schedules average 12 hours per day.
Applications for the Official Conference Cheesemonger position are now open. To apply, please fill out the 2018 Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger Application and submit it to the ACS office no later than January 12, 2018.
Please submit your application to:
American Cheese Society
2696 S. Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80222
email: [email protected]
Please note: ACS will select three Official Conference Cheesemongers.