Official Conference Cheesemongers
Each year, the ACS Annual Conference relies on the hard work and dedication of countless volunteers. Among these volunteer roles is that of the on-site cheesemonger, the point person who oversees and manages the receipt, movement, storage, and preparation of the thousands of cheeses and other donated products that play a starring role in ACS conference events. Due to the importance and scope of this volunteer role, ACS will select two Official Conference Cheesemongers to assist with the conference in Sacramento, CA (July 29-August 1, 2014).
The deadline to apply for the 2014 Official Conference Cheesemonger role is November 8, 2013.
The position of Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger is for experienced cheesemongers who…
- want to apply their skills to the broadest array of American cheeses they’ll ever encounter
- can successfully juggle many tasks while managing a team of dedicated volunteers
- think on their feet and can find creative solutions to unexpected challenges
- can dedicate 7- 10 days to fulfill this role during the conference
- have the support of their employer to undertake this role
- enjoy being part of the behind-the-scenes action at the ACS Conference
- wish to be recognized as a top professional in their field
- Roundtrip airfare to Sacramento, CA
- 7 nights hotel stay at the conference hotel
- Personalized ACS logo chef’s jacket
- Free registration for our 2015 conference (you’ll be too busy in Sacramento to catch the sessions!)
- Your personal profile with your company logo on our web site, in CheeseBytes, and in the conference guide
The Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger is the lead volunteer in charge of conference cheeses and other donated product, including but not limited to receiving and inventorying product shipments, prepping cheese and products for meals and breaks, plating cheese for tasting sessions, assisting sponsors with preparing and displaying their cheeses for special events, etc. The Cheesemonger will track the movement of cheese and donated products to and from various venues, ensuring proper preparation and handling by volunteers, and overseeing a team of volunteers to deliver cheeses to the appropriate events at the appropriate times.
The Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger must possess a strong ability to organize, arrange, and schedule the tempering and delivery of multiple donated products (including cheese, milk for demos, crackers, charcuterie, chocolate, beverages, etc.) for multiple events throughout the conference. Catering experience is helpful in this role.
Some time is required of this role prior to the conference. The pre-conference work will include setting up prep and delivery schedules, kitchen schedules, volunteer runner schedules, staging schedules for sessions/tastings/events, etc.
The Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger works closely with ACS staff and key volunteers, and may have oversight of the following positions:
- Prep Team Lead: Oversees a team of volunteers who prepare cheese and accompaniments for various conference events and sessions including but not limited to Tasting Sessions, Networking Breaks, and Meals per instruction from the Conference Cheesemonger. (volunteer position)
- Lead Runner: Oversees a team of volunteers who deliver cheeses and accompanying products to the appropriate locations at the appropriate times per instruction from the Conference Cheesemonger. (volunteer position)
- Receiver: The Receiver logs all packages including shipments from sponsors for educational sessions, events, tastings, etc. The Receiver ensures that the Conference Cheesemonger has an accurate daily record of all cheeses and related products received. In addition, the Receiver follows up on any problems with packages delayed in transit, damaged in shipping, etc. (staffed position)
- Donated Product Manager: After the Receiver logs receipt of shipments, the Donated Product Manager is responsible for verifying content of shipments; sorting, labeling, and storing appropriately; and tracking the movement of all donated product for sessions, sponsors, events, and tastings. The Donated Product Manager ensures that the location of every package is noted and accounted for, and serves as the ACS customer service point person on-site to help sponsors and others locate and access their items. The Donated Product Manager regularly updates the Conference Cheesemonger to ensure s/he is aware of current locations of cheeses and related products. (staffed position)
Anticipated time required for this role is as follows:
- March to June: 4 hours per month
- July: 6-8 hours per week
- 1 week prior to conference – 20 hours
During the conference, the selected cheesemonger should anticipate working extended hours. Typical hours range from 8 to 12+ hours per day.
Please note: ACS will select two Cheesemongers, one local and one national. The local Cheesemonger may be asked to be at the conference venue beginning on the first day of receiving (the Thursday prior to the start of the conference) to ensure proper routing of cheeses and donated products throughout the Conference & Competition.
Applications for the Official Conference Cheesemonger position are now open. To apply please fill out the 2014 Official ACS Conference Cheesemonger Application and submit it to the ACS office no later than November 8, 2013!*
*Note: please disregard the reference to a November 1 deadline on the application itself.