Heading to “Cheese with Altitude” in Denver and looking for tips from locals? The ACS Leadership Team will be sharing our own recommendations here, leading up to Conference.
Steve Binns, ACS Meeting & Events Manager
- Lucille’s Creole Cafe is a great way to start a slow-moving day. Get there early and expect to wait before getting a table. However, you can wait while drinking one of the best Bloody Mary’s in the city, in my opinion.
Place for a Great Cocktail
- The Green Russell is a fun basement speak-easy with a long list of cocktails. If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, tell the bartender your favorite liquor and they’ll make the decision for you. I love going here before grabbing a bite downtown or heading to a Nuggets game at the Pepsi Center.
- Call to Arms: this neighborhood brewery is in the Berkeley section of Denver. I lived next to this brewery for years, and I think I left a permanent impression in one of the stools. Enjoy a Khores Ballroom Beer or any of their great IPA’s and barrel-aged beers. These guys know what they’re doing. You can order tacos and pizza from Mas Kaos next door while sitting in the taproom. This brewery is worth the trip out of downtown!
Live Music Venue
- Stem Ciders offers Bluegrass Thursdays. Enjoy some great cider, eat from the daily food truck, and play board games, while listening to a live bluegrass band.
Day Hike from Denver
- Head north to Boulder to Chautauqua Trailhead in Chautauqua Park. There are hikes with many different vertical climbs for all abilities. The flat irons are amazing and challenging.
Fishing Day trip
- While I won’t give away any of my true “local” spots, I love fishing the Decker’s section of the South Platte River. Just over an hour away, you will find some of the best local water. You will also find lots of people, but plenty of fish. Be stealthy, patient, and ask a local what to tie on (there is a fly shop right at the road entrance) and you might land yourself one of the several 20″+ Brown and Rainbow trout that inhabit this water. If you’re lucky, Big Foam season will be in full swing. Get on the water before sun-up to find a nice spot to fish, and to beat the heat. Be courteous to the other anglers and they might even offer you a beer.