ACS does not accept or keep unsolicited resumes on file. Please apply only for specific open positions, if/when they are listed below. No phone calls please.
The American Cheese Society (ACS) Content Manager is the leader of organization-wide content management, storage, organization, consolidation, accessibility, and sharing. This position ensures ACS content, expertise, information, education in all forms, resources, and experience are shared inside and outside the organization with staff, Board, members, and other stakeholders. The Content Manager will serve as a market expert for vertical related content including: events, professional learning, resources, and custom content.
This full-time, exempt position requires an experienced, take-charge professional with high-level understanding of systems, organizational tools, current trends in data storage, and library sciences. S/he should possess the ability to learn about current resources, archival information, and existing systems so as to recommend solutions that are time- and cost-effective for managing content. Candidate must possess a collaborative mentality and have the ability to jump between different projects and activities while maintaining organizational integrity. This person must be detail-oriented, able to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision. S/he must also possess strong multi-tasking and communication skills with the ability to handle issues efficiently and diplomatically despite conflicting priorities.
This position reports to the Marketing & Communications Director and will work closely with all association staff as well as take direction from the Executive Director.
The Content Manager oversees all association knowledge/content and provides regular status updates to the appropriate Director, including but not limited to the following key areas/tasks:
Internal and External Content Management
- Manage all aspects of content consolidation, organization, and dissemination, both internally and externally.
- Organize resources to ensure accessibility, keep current, and optimize searchability via ACS’s various websites, association management system (NetForum database), and related systems, with an eye toward educational offerings that provide enhanced member benefits.
- Consult with and make recommendations to ACS staff to help identify and organize ACS’s knowledge resources and information (e.g., websites, webpages, files, project lessons learned, Body of Knowledge, Best Practices Guide(s), regulatory outreach, academic research and grants, bibliographies, survey data, educational resources, dashboards, and records). Manage and update website content to ensure all of these resources, information, and links remain current.
- Manage and administer public-facing and internal search tools. Consult with other ACS staff, Board, and committees to optimize searchability of all resources.
Organizational Structures and Systems
- Lead the development of custom organizational structures and search interfaces for specialized content (e.g., webinars, conference presentations, ACS products, academic programs, professionals).
- Leverage existing software and systems in use by organization (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint Online, NetForum) to maximize usage and value of these as management tools for ACS. Work with Member Services Specialist to maximize use of database reports, storage capacity, and search functionality.
- Utilize existing resources and archival information to track historical data and create meaningful reports and content.
- Organize, manage, and maintain content on ACS’s internal server to ensure proper archiving of data.
- Work with all committees as needed to ensure consistent, up-to-date information across all content areas.
- Coordinate with industry subject matter experts (SMEs), academics, and partner organizations to develop quality, market-relevant content within the following topical areas:
- federal, state and local regulatory matters
- food safety
- research and trends
- traditional food production
- consumer access
- other topics as they arise
- Organize archival materials and content and add value by repurposing existing and historical content into accessible educational materials.
- Work directly with ACS staff to support the creation of published content (reports, web content, data, etc.) in support of products, projects, and services.
- Compile all content for monthly e-newsletter adhering to ACS editorial guidelines and calendar; draft e-newsletter in Constant Contact.
Market Research, Monitoring, and Reporting
- Assist Marketing & Communications Director in staying abreast of industry trends, maintaining a strong sense of markets and changes that represent threats or opportunities for ACS.
- Conduct ongoing research and “industry news monitoring” within relevant topic areas to further industry knowledge and develop potential new content ideas; maintain these items on a consistent schedule to ensure relevance/timeliness; compile for use in monthly CheeseBytes e-newsletter; update in response to customer needs and market developments.
- Track content use and report regularly to staff and Board.
- Keep abreast of new advances, theories, and ideas in knowledge management.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Proven exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent phone skills, email etiquette, and professional business demeanor
- Ability to follow all ACS policies and procedures
- Develop and adhere to timelines and ensure on-time delivery of final products.
- Proactive in keeping relevant staff updated on project status and ensuring adherence to deadlines
- Careful budgeting and adherence to budget with an eye to cost-saving measures
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Strong oral communication, writing, editing and grammatical skills
- Ability to communicate clearly with internal and external customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Diplomacy and comfort in interacting with all types of people
- Ability to maintain discretion where sensitive and confidential issues are concernedProficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Experienced user of WordPress
- Ability to work additional hours as needed
- Ability to work under time constraint and in an environment in which priorities and deadlines change frequently
- Ability to travel to ACS Annual Conference & Competition (approximately 11 days in late July each year)
- Ability to identify challenges and make recommendations for improvements to increase efficiencies
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Reliable and honest with a positive outlook
Four-year accredited Bachelor’s degree with preference for degrees in library science/digital library science. MLS preferred,
Minimum of four years of experience in a related/relevant position.
- Non-profit association experience, particularly in a membership-based environment
- Knowledge of association databases, ideally Abila’s NetForum
- Desire to be a part of a healthy organizational culture that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and growth
- Knowledge of the specialty foods industry, cheese, and/or interest in food science
- A flexible, proactive problem-solver who never says “it’s not my job”
- Ability to lift at least 40 lbs. and assist with any on-site conference tasks as needed
ACS offers competitive salary and benefits in a small, collegial office environment. Please include “Content Manager” in the subject line and e-mail cover letter, resume, and three references to: HRDept[at]cheesesociety.org.
ACS Marketing & Communications Intern – Summer 2016
The 2016 ACS Marketing & Communications Intern will play a key role in providing support for the American Cheese Society and its Annual Conference & Competition. The intern should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of nonprofit marketing.
This part-time intern will report to the ACS Marketing & Communications Director and provide general support to all three of the association’s staff Directors (Executive Director, Marketing & Communications Director, Programs & Operations Director).
Supporting the Marketing & Communications Director:
- Manage the ACS Conference Mobile App, working closely with the developer to build out content and graphics, draft and send push notifications, and create interactive polls and surveys
- Serve as a liaison to PR firm for the ACS Conference in advance and on-site
- Research and grow the ACS media list, monitor press coverage, and maintain up-to-date PR tracking
- Assist in social media management via ACS’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts
- Draft and edit press releases as needed
- Proof and edit ACS Conference & Competition print and electronic materials
- Develop and update content for ACS websites
- Create and maintain archive of current and historic ACS photos and collateral
General duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide general administrative duties as directed
- Answer phones and respond to calls, emails, and other correspondence as needed
- Provide support in organizing, packing, and shipping materials and supplies to ACS Conference site
- Support staff, committees, and Conference Planner in all capacities around the ACS Conference & Competition
Who should apply: Undergraduate college students in the Denver, CO area who are interested in developing their marketing, communications, writing, editing, and event planning skills, while learning the ins and outs of working for a nonprofit organization. While this is an unpaid internship, you will have the opportunity to travel to Des Moines, Iowa with ACS staff in the summer of 2016 to gain hands-on marketing experience at a unique and renowned international event.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and MailChimp or similar programs preferred
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Diplomacy and comfort in interacting with a diverse audience
- Reliable and honest, with a positive outlook
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed
- Ability to lift at least 40 lbs (for event/meeting set up and supply handling)
- Ability to travel to the Annual ACS Conference & Competition in Des Moines, IA from July 21 – July 31, 2016
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in an undergraduate academic program with a focus on Marketing, Communications, or a related field. Applications from students in other disciplines will be considered.
Previous experience working in an office environment is preferred, but not required.
- Interest in the specialty foods market and/or cheese and gourmet foods
- Desire to gain experience working for a non-profit, member-based association
- Proactive problem-solving skills; flexible individual who never says “it’s not my job”
- Desire to be a part of an organizational culture that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and growth
- Strong customer-service and communication skills
HOURS & COMPENSATION
- Duration of internship: May 16 – August 12, 2016 (dates are flexible based on academic calendar)
- Hours: 10-15 hours per week through July 20, 2016. Additional hours required for the ACS Conference in Des Moines, IA may exceed 40 hours per week from July 21 – July 31, 2016. Travel with the ACS team to Des Moines, IA, along with lodging and meals, will be provided for the duration of this trip.
- This internship is unpaid, but may qualify for college credit.
Please send resume, cover letter explaining your interest in this position, and 2 writing samples (attached or send URLs) to rorozco[at]cheesesociety.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 25, 2016 or until filled